Monday 19 October 2009

Nostalgia Ain't (is) What it Used to Be.

I sat here on Saturday morning, blank, wondering what on earth to write. It reminded me of my short 'career' as a Barber's boy. What was it I was taught to whisper as I collected the customer's money at the till. (Five bob for a gent's hair cut.) 'And something for the weekend, sir?'
A year or two ago I wrote a book of short stories entitled 'There's Nowt so Strange as Folk'. It was to have been called 'There's Nowt so Queer as Folk' but that was deemed to be politically incorrect in these modern times! Its in a few libraries and I'm informed I'm entitled to 4p in royalties every time it go goes out! Only no one seems to know how the 4p is paid. Which is a pity as I reckon they (the government?) owe me around 88p by now.
Now I mention this to show that I reckon 'people' are the most interesting aspect of a fascinating life. Places, your Chatsworths, and your churches, Coventry Cathedral for instance, marvellous. But the idiosyncrasies, the sheer variation of the human race is a joy to behold. (The cover of my book depicts a sign on an estate in Shropshire. How odd, delightfully individual, a credit to English eccentricity.) And this blog is written partly with eccentrics in mind.
Last weekend was spent in 0008 PAU at a jukebox show in Kempton Park. (Jukebox Madness, the premier event of its kind. In its twenty first year and featuring jukeboxes, classic American cars, pinball machines, records, dancing and much more.) Not normally our scene (the jukebox bought recently is to blame for the interest) but an event to cherish for months to come. I have seldom been in more awe or enjoyed an event so much. So many enthusiastic, delightful individuals with a love of the past, particularly the fifties. I wouldn't necessarily view the period with rose coloured spectacles (what do you think) but 'whatever turns you on'. The point is, it was a supremely happy event in rather hard, frugal times. (Though not as frugal and hard as the fifties if my memory serves me right.) Plus many were seventy plus years of age, but with the wide eyed enthusiasm and glowing interest that would have shamed many a youth. (George Bernard Shaw said 'Youth is wasted on the young'.) I will not labour the point. (Did I hear someone say hurray!) Just a little taster of my geriatric enjoyment of people and an event that will stay long in the memory. I may well be seventy next month but so what!





I am rereminded of the joys of a non computerised existance as I study this blog. I started it Friday. Several hours later I give up trying to place photographs in the place and order I wish them to go. Plus the gap at the bottom of the page my son in law will hopefully correct later. (Not just a matter of press delete, honest.) What am I doing wrong. Perhaps I have lived too long, or am I interlectually incapable of grasping the details of modern computer technology. I can turn a light switch on and off. I can nearly master a remote for the TV but mobile phones, no chance plus the on/off dishwasher switch, no fear. I have sold cars with buttons that I never did find out their purpose. My granny was right when she went next door and asked, "Does it say 'Normal Service will be resumed as soon as possible' on your television." Sometimes I think, why do I bother.

>

20 comments:

Bernard said...

"I have sold cars with buttons that I never did find out their purpose"
That has happened to me over and over again. I have radio in my car which is so complicated that the handbook for it is thicker than the manual for the car!! It actually gets worse. Last year my car (5 years old) failed its MOT because the horn didn't work.
It appears that because I didn't know where it was and had not used it..the damm thing had seized up!

Marian Dean said...

Something gone sadly amiss here Ken on this post, I suspect you kept you finger on the mouse button too long!
But then as you say, "Nowt so Q... sorry, strange as folk"
Love Granny

Bernard said...

I'm sure you get this problem of large blank areas, because you prepare you post on a WP and then copy and paste it into blogger without, perhaps, the correct 'terminator' at the end of you text.
If you click on the 'Html' tag (next to the compose) you will probably see rows a rows of
/div div
It is these rows you need to delete.
Then return to compose and publish.
I'm no expert, Ken, just an idea.

Anonymous said...

Hey well done! I've never seen such a big accidental google gap before! ;-)

Nota Bene said...

Long may the technology remain beyond us all...life is all the better for frsutrating mysteries!

Carah Boden said...

Ooh, disappointed, think I've missed the gap? Or am I the one that's missing something?? At least you've grasped how to do a 'collage' of pix - I can't get more interesting then dumping them in the middle, left, or right of text. So you're one up on me already...!

Couldn't agree more about people - endlessly fascinating, and all the more so the older they get!!

I'd knock the 88p off your next tax bill if I were you.

Bernard said...

"At least you've grasped how to do a 'collage' of pix - I can't get more interesting then dumping them in the middle, left, or right of text. So you're one up on me already...!"

Well....nearly there Ken, but not quite.
I can't do it either!
Cheers.....Bernard

cheshire wife said...

You should have kept quiet about the gap. It has gone and we would never have known. If I try to put more than one photo in a post it takes longer to load the photos than write the post! What is wrong with the written word?

Frogdancer said...

Technology.... We have to have a laptop computer with us at all times to mark the roll, so when they decide to misbehave it makes life hell. (The computers, not the kids, though I suppose if students constantly misbehaved life would be hellish as well.)

Gill - That British Woman said...

pop by my blog on Friday, as I am talking about you!!!!

Gill in Canada

YES YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!!!!!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

To everyone out there. It's good to know that I'm not on my own re technical problems.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Dickie
Loved the car comments.
It wasn't meant to be a collage of pics!
WP whats that?
Somebody also says the same re end of blog and this is what we did. But if you dont know what you are doing it will happen again no doubt. (Son in law the expert 125 miles away!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Granny
Basically it all happens because I am clueless technically!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

liZZie
Thanks youve made me laugh which is important!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Nota
Now strangely enough I had you doen as a technical wizzkid. You too have cheered me up.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Her on the Hill
Would you believe the collage is not intentional. Plus someone else has got rid of the gap!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

cheshire wife
All very true. But it was longer than the Watford Gap and such a thing frustrated and annoyed me beyond all reasonable thought!

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Frogdancer
Glad you too get problems, though your blog is very professional and puts me to shame.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Gil
You frightened me to death!
I shouldn't tell you now but Coro finishes in December when The Rovers has a function and everyone dies from salmonella. NOT REALLT, HONEST!! Didn't realise how seriously you all take Coro.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Gill

REALLT!!! I really must chuck these 99p Home Bargain glasses.