Tuesday 22 September 2009

Will the Real You Please Stand Up

There are millions of people in the world. Sixty in The UK alone. They are divided into male and female and also split into young and old. There are many colours and shades, shapes and sizes,
though within limits. There are, for instance, not too many green or blue people to my knowledge. Room for variation, many hundreds, nay thousands of possible combinations, but NOT surely millions of possibilities. Whoever, whatever designed the human race had a propensity for variation, but NO chance of unlimited variation. There are only so many variations of an object that has a nose down the middle and two eyes each side of it. So there is a good chance of repeating oneself, however hard you try not to. (Perhaps concerning identical twins he or she is not even trying too hard for variation. Or perhaps he or she is pulling our leg.) Are you with me so far. Some time ago I was walking round a posh antique dealers in Lincolnshire. I gradually became aware I was being followed. Now I am actually a model so I'm used to adulation. Ok, ok, so I'm only a model for garden gnomes, but it's still modeling! But no matter where I went and what I viewed, my admirer, a lady of some proportions was never far away. It was disconcerting, to say the least for you never know. Psychiatric patient bent on destruction, knife concealed in her ample bosom? Or lovesick, middle aged maiden spurned by a lover and eager for love? (I should be so lucky.) Either way I was becoming more and more uneasy. Finally I could hide no more. And the lady in question uttered those immortal words. 'Excuse me, are you Lord Bath?'

Alexander George Thynn. 7th Marquess of Bath. 359th in the Sunday Times Rich List 2009. estimated worth, £157 million.
Kenneth Allan Stevens. 23rd richest, Gurney Avenue. (estimated) worth £3,459. (again estimated)
Close, lady, close. Strangely enough not my first encounter with so strange an idea. Even stranger, my ancestry is shrouded in mystery to this day. More perhaps at a later date. Do you ever have the same problem. Do you have someone lurking out there who is you in disguise. Or perhaps you only wish you were someone else!

9 comments:

GrumpyRN said...

You should have a look at www.menwholooklikekennyrogers.com lots and lots of guys who you look like

ADDY said...

You do rather look like him, I must admit. No chance of a share in the family treasures, I suppose?

Shammickite said...

Which one is Kenneth Allan Stevens and which one is Lord Bath? I can't tell the difference.

Bernard said...

Only worth £3459?
You shouldn't have blown it all on that Jukebox.

Valerie said...

Had a great giggle over this. Imagine taken for the aristocracy. You really should have milked this one dry :-O

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Grumpy RN

Very good. I didn't know such sites existed.

rosiero

My fortunes are in the doldrums at the moment. Housesale imminent hopefully.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Shammickite
Go one, youre having me on!

Kippers Dickie
Very true. Hopefully though will be solvent again soon.

Grumpy Old Ken said...

Valerie
On agood day it amuses, on a bad day embarrasses!

Von said...

The real you.Aren't us oldies really that young hippie from the 70's inside still?Still caring about the state of the world and horrified at the greed,intolerance and envy around us?